Skip to main content

F ³: No Substack for Me

 


Substack. Do you know what it is?

Lots of cool people have them. You can generate income for your writing by charging a subscription fee if you so desire.

Blogs are passé. Some ‘content creators’ have moved to podcasts, TikTok, even Instagram or Threads to get their content out into the world. And some, more serious writers perhaps, announce the creation of a Substack and invite you to subscribe.

Here’s why I don’t have one.: Revealed: How Substack makes money by hosting Nazi newsletters, Geraldine McKelvie, The Guardian (2/7/2026)

It’s not a short piece but it’s worth the read. The Guardian leads off with this:

Site [Substack] takes a cut of subscriptions to content that promotes far-right ideology, white supremacy and antisemitism.

A more recent article from the CBC elaborates:

But over the last few years, users and journalists have noted that a number of Substack newsletters promote white supremacy, Holocaust denial and neo-Nazism. An investigation by the  Guardian in February found the site not only takes a cut of subscription fees paid for such content but algorithmically promotes it to users.

- - Can Substack rise above the controversies? Cole Cooper, CBC News (8/11/2026)

…not only takes a cut of subscription fees paid for such content but algorithmically promotes it to users.

How does Substack rationalize their choices?

In 2023, Substack co-founder Hamish McKenzie wrote:

I just want to make it clear that we don't like Nazis either ... But given that, we don't think that censorship (including through demonetizing publications) makes the problem go away — in fact, it makes it worse.

In short, Substack appears to be saying that the best way to uphold the values of their platform is to treat white supremacists, Holocaust deniers, and neo-Nazis just like everyone else.

I don’t think they are just like everyone else. I think they are hateful, destructive, and dangerous.

I’ve noticed that other folks who are concerned about Substack’s “values” are moving their content to a platform called Ghost. I don’t know much about them but you can learn more here

I found a blog post from one such writer who has moved away from Substack to Ghost. It opens with this:

Here’s what I’ll say for myself, I see an internet chock full of communities and services that allow us to talk to each other and share our thoughts. Some of those places welcome Nazis and most of them don’t. I personally gravitate to the ones that don’t welcome Nazis as “just another viewpoint.”

Substack is a private company who controls who can and can not use their services. As Richard Lawler points out for The Verge, Substack has moderation rules in place that prevent some people from using them, but Nazis fall on the “that’s fine with us,” part of the spectrum.

- - I’m always happy I use Ghost and not Substack, but I’m extra happy today, Matt Birchler, Birchtree

It’s interesting to note the date on Birchler’s post: December 22, 2023. This is not some new thing suddenly coming to light. If people are still writing about it in 2026 then what Substack has is not some sudden, inexplicable Nazi problem. It’s long-standing, baked in Nazi-inclusive policy.

And that’s why I don’t have a Substack. 


Village Green/Town² Comments 




Comments

  1. Please do not submit comments here. This function will be disabled shortly. Use the link above instead. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Columbia Chance Connection

  Last night, as my husband and I were about to sit down to dinner, our front door swung open and a cheery voice announced, “I’m ba—ack!”  We weren’t expecting anyone. Clearly the only people who’d walk right in to our house would be one of our offspring. I had my reading glasses on so I wasn’t seeing too clearly. It seemed too tall for our youngest, but we knew our eldest was at work. I took off my glasses to see a friendly but confused face scanning our living room. When her gaze landed on us we all had a sudden realization. We didn’t know eachother. “Oh I’m so sorry! I’m in the wrong house! My daughter just moved in and she needed hooks for the kitchen so I ran out to get them.” She waved the package. “All these houses look the same and I don’t know the neighborhood yet. I thought this was my daughter’s house.” We were all getting a bit giggly. “That’s okay. For a quick second we thought you were our daughter,” said my husband. I told her our names and said she should defin...