Skip to main content

Is King’s Contrivance Epic?

 



I don’t know what I was expecting when I went to YouTube looking for local stories this morning but I most certainly didn’t expect to find this.



The Chronicles of the Kingdom of King’s Contrivance, Arthur Kunkle, YouTube

I don’t know Mr. Kunkle but it looks like he had a lot of fun with this piece, which he describes as a mock-epic local history.

Every great kingdom has a founding legend. Rome had a she-wolf. Camelot had a sword in a stone. The Kingdom of King's Contrivance, a village in Columbia, Maryland, has a restaurant.

A mock-epic (and affectionate) history of King's Contrivance: colonial land tracts with names like "Lost by Neglect" and "Mistake", the 1962 restaurant of Kingdon Gould Jr.

(King", we are told), James Rouse's quiet purchase of a tenth of Howard County, a village proclaimed in 1973 and postponed indefinitely in 1974, three neighborhoods named for folk songs, Carl Sandburg and Emily Dickinson, and a royal marketplace with a line of succession of grocery stores.

The tone is parody; the facts are real. Sources are below.

The sources are well-documented, right down to the musical score. A tip of the hat to Kunkle for showing his workings, as the Brits say. And then he chooses to use an AI-generated voice. Augh!

I’d love to know what inspired this Savage, Maryland resident to put this video together. Will there be more to come?  Nota bene: I can’t endorse it whole-heartedly as far as historical accuracy is concerned because this isn’t my field of expertise and I haven’t even tried to check his sources. 

It sure is fun, though. I’m interested in your thoughts.


Village Green/Town² Comments 


Comments

  1. Please do not submit comments here. This function will be disabled shortly. Use the link above instead. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...