Skip to main content

Rainy Days and Sundays

What a crazy day yesterday. I found myself out in the pouring rain running errands in the middle of the afternoon. My attempt to get my hair cut at Floyd’s in Ellicott City was thwarted by the fact that they were packed with people trying to make it in under the early closing deadline of five o’clock. Yep, closing early for the Super Bowl. Who knew?

If I thought that Floyd’s was popular, nothing could have prepared me for my next stop. Every single parking place was filled. Cars were circling slowly for a space. I drove around. And around. On the fourth circuit I finally nabbed one. It was a bit far from the entrance but I claimed victory anyway. It was clear that the most important place to be yesterday was this place.

Yes, the library. The Miller Branch in Ellicott City, to be precise. My home branch in East Columbia has been closed for renovations (reopening this Saturday!) so I’ve been making the trek over here for my preschool read-aloud needs. If you have any doubts whatsoever as to whether our libraries fill a need in our community, you should try to find a parking place on a Sunday afternoon.

I hear they’re gearing up for some sort of retro fundraising event. I know a local “DJ” who’d appreciate your support in her bid to be the top fundraiser for the Library’s programs. Take a look at her retro playlist here. I hope you’ll consider a donation that will Elevate her to the top of the list.

My last errand yesterday was to Party City in Columbia to pick up something for my classroom. I noticed that the empty space left by Cosi appears to be close to launching as Modern Market.


Healthy food coming in 8 days. Great! Another place that I will want to go to and my family will shun. Along with Cava, I might add. Same shopping center, and, now that I think of it, Modern Market and Cava appear to be targeting an almost identical customer base. Hmm...

One last photo for the day. Dueling “holidays” at Weis Market in Oakland Mills. Overkill much?

 


One last thing. Today is the two-year anniversary of this post. Remember? Here’s hoping we never see this again in Howard County.

It’s slippery out there, folks. Be careful today.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...