Skip to main content

Sensitive Topics

In our school system, if a parent doesn’t want their child to receive information about human sexuality, they can exercise the parental right to shield their child from learning. I’m not a fan of this, because I think we’d all be better off if we had a comprehensive sex education curriculum that was for all children, k-12.

But the fact remains that we allow parents to have a say about this because it is deemed to be a sensitive issue.

Right now we have people (none of them teachers, I might add) suggesting that the way to make schools safer is to arm teachers with guns.

Okay, now I want to exercise my parental rights to protect my child from being in a school where teachers have guns. Surely guns in schools are a sensitive topic. Surely I will get to have my say, right?

My child is guaranteed public education. And I expect that to be in a school without guns. Where do I need to sign up to make sure her right to a gun-free education is protected? Under no circumstances do I want adults who should be role models promoting a “pro-gun lifestyle”. Not for one moment do I want her to think that spreading around more guns is a solution to any problem.

What do I need to say? It’s against my religion? It’s against all my deeply-held values? It flies in the face of what education is all about?

Send me the special permission slip. I want to sign off on this now. My child deserves an education without guns.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...