Skip to main content

Take A Look

I’m a huge fan of the Howard County Library System. They offer so much to our community in so many different ways. I’m always seeing fabulous workshops for youth and teens at the Glenwood Branch. The Miller Branch in Ellicott City is always packed when I go there, and they also house the Howard County Historical Society archives. The Savage Branch has a Music Tech Lab. The Downtown Branch seems to be *the* place for teens who want to book a space to work on a project.

I’ve been to each branch except for the Elkridge one, so I hope the Elkridge folks will clue me in on why I need to visit.

But the very best branch is, of course, my branch.  Big surprise, right? The East Columbia branch wins as the sentimental favorite at my house. It’s the place where we took my daughter from the time she could look at a picture book. Once she could walk through the hallway to the children’s room she’d pat each tree as she passed.

“Hi, tree!” Each one got an individual greeting.

I must admit I’ve been pretty cranky of late since “my” branch has been closed for renovations.
(As an aside, does it seem to you as though our libraries are in a constant state of renovation? It’s great, but sheesh! I can’t keep up.)  Yes, the other branches are perfectly fine, but, East or West, our branch is best. You know how it is.

So I am extremely excited that today is the Grand Re-opening of the East Columbia Branch. Ribbon cutting begins at 9:45 am. More information about the day’s events can be found here. I don’t know if I’ll stop in today, but I’ll definitely be there soon to see the updates. And pat the trees. (Uh oh. I wonder if they kept the trees?)

If your day’s travels take you by the Miller Branch instead, there’s a treat for you, too. There will be a bake sale to support Latino students at Centennial High School. So you can do your studying and pick up something yummy on your way out. They will be there from 10 to 6. Stop by and say hi!

Have you donated to my friend Candace Dodson Reed as Celebrity DJ for this year’s Evening In the Stacks? Any amount helps and it all supports our library’s amazing programs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...