Skip to main content

Time Sensitive

Tomorrow, a proposed update to Grace’s Law will be read in Annapolis. Learn more here . Please take a moment to write in support of these improvements which are designed to make the bill more effective in protecting minors from online bullying. Please send your comments to SDavid@senate.state.md.us by early Tuesday, February 20th.

The contest is still running for who will receive the rights to the first amateur production of the musical “Newsies”. Reservoir High School is now closing in on the lead. Keep voting every day in February!

It’s getting to be high school musical season here in HoCo. Check the hcpss website for a list of this year’s offerings. Then, buy your tickets before they sell out! Most schools have online ticket ordering now, which will make that easy for you. It’s local and affordable and you’ll be pleasantly surprised at how good the productions are. Off the top of my head, I’d recommend Tarzan (Oakland Mills) and Pippin (River Hill) but look at the entire list and see for yourself.

You still have time to vote for Candace Dodson Reed as Celebrity DJ for this year’s Retro Evening in the Stacks Library Fundraiser. Make your donation here. Yes, there are other candidates, other playlists. Any donation the the library is a good donation. I’m just out here campaigning for my favorite.

Village Elections (Columbia-wide) will be Sat., April 28, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Candidate packets should be available this week. So, make up your mind already and run!

Last, but certainly not least, local blogger Scott Ewart of ScottE’s blog wants you to know that the candidate filing deadline in the state of Maryland is February 27th at 9 pm. He’s concerned that there aren’t enough BOE candidates. Me? Not so much. I’m waiting to see what the incumbents will do.

Have any time-sensitive info you’d like to share? Let me know in the comments.

https://www.facebook.com/VillageGreenTownSquared/?ref=bookmarks








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...