Skip to main content

I Saw the Sign

Yesterday I noticed this sign in the lobby of one of the schools where I teach. It is the first time I had seen one in an elementary school.

I think these signs should be prominently displayed in all of our schools. Perhaps with the new partnership with PFLAG, they will be. Although if you read the entire thing, it's clearly not just about LGBT issues. It is about welcoming. Welcoming all.

My guess is that this sign is prominently displayed because the principal of this school is comfortable with this message and makes it a priority in his school community. We may have general rules and goals that apply to the entire school system, but individual principals can have huge influence, for good or ill, over each individual school.

In this case it's very, very good.

Students and their families should know that they are welcomed in all their diversity. Their differences are known, accepted, and celebrated. Everyone in the community should know that this is the standard of acceptance: we are here, we are of many backgrounds, we are valued.

This is, of course, only a sign. Putting a sign on a wall is a symbolic gesture, and not enough unto itself. But I can tell you from my personal experience within this school that I believe it to be sincere. This is a great school.

How much power does a principal have? (I have participated in a lot of those discussions.) You often hear,"The principal sets the tone." This little sign is a good example of what that means.

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...