Skip to main content

Location

When I showed up yesterday to served my shift at the Inner Arbor booth at Wine in the Woods, two things were obvious. It was punishingly hot, and we were in a sunny, crowded area. I quickly backed up into our little tent for a quick bottle of water, and put on a cool "Peace, Love, Merriweather Park" bracelet.

It turned out that the reason our little corner of the world was so busy was that we were next to the Horseshoe Casino booth, and they were running some sort of a prize promotion with one of those big wheels. Lots of people wanted a turn, and so their line ran right in front of our table. And they were waiting, and it was hot...
 
"Would you like some water?"
 
This was the start of many great conversations yesterday. It became easy to say, "Look! This is where you are standing, this is what the new park will look like. This is the Chrysalis. It's the first structure we are going to build. It should be ready for Wine in the Woods next year..."
 
It quickly became apparent that most people who were willing to wait in line for a chance at a prize from Horseshoe Casino were also excited about a new park in Symphony Woods. (This is not a scientific study.) The concept that Symphony Woods is becoming a destination park that could be enjoyed most days in the year was supported by everyone I talked to.
 
A few people had heard some wildly inaccurate rumors about the park that we were able to quickly dispel. That was gratifying. No, William Cochran's Horns will not be broadcasting music 24/7 throughout the park. No, they are not cutting down so many trees that concerts from Merriweather will be much louder for the surrounding neighborhoods. Where do people hear this kind of nonsense, one wonders?
 
But questions like this were few and far between. Throughout the time I was there, I found people excited and interested to learn more. I especially enjoyed the young woman who described Symphony Woods as her backyard.
 
"Wow!" I said. "You're going to have the greatest backyard ever."
 
She said, "It's so great! In the summer I can sit on my deck and listen to concerts at Merriweather!"
 
"We can, sometimes," I replied. "We live in Oakland Mills."
 
She nodded excitedly. "Me, too!"
 
There you have it. A young professional with her own place. Happy to live in Oakland Mills. Happy to hear concerts from Merriweather. Happy that Symphony Woods is her backyard.
 
Yesterday, in the heat and with all the crowds, the Inner Arbor booth was definitely the place to be. If you are coming to Wine in the Woods today, make sure to come by.
 
 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...