Skip to main content

Thank a Teacher

Ah...Teacher Appreciation Week. This year we're observing it in Howard County by honoring the essence of the art of teaching by scheduling PARCC testing, AP testing, and, just for good measure, the SAT on Saturday. I'm sure they'll feel truly appreciated.Yesterday the Superintendent, or someone in her army of public relations professionals, posted the following on Twitter:
As I pondered the irony of this, a rather unusual thing happened. This response popped up:

@SuperHCPSS how about by not threatening furloughs if budget isn't approved?

Well, that's to the point, I thought. And then, another response:

@SuperHCPSS thank a teacher: take a paycut & they can have better healthcare.

Wow. These were from two separate individuals. And then, for the next half hour, the tweets kept coming, from three different, distinct accounts.

@SuperHCPSS #thankateacher - perhaps give up that fancy car and use that money so they don't have to buy school supplies out of pocket.

@SuperHCPSS - #thankateacher by not calling them greedy when they ask for a step increase (remember 2014?).

@SuperHCPSS #thankateacher by respecting their skills and assessments over metrics and testing.

@SuperHCPSS #thankateacher by respecting parents who advocate on their behalf.

@SuperHCPSS #thankateacher by allowing them to speak, instead of issuing edicts calling free
speech on their time #insubordination.

@SuperHCPSS #thankateacher by providing them environments of respect in their workplaces.

@SuperHCPSS #thankateacher by providing transparency and accountability of your actions 
to those you serve.

One characteristic all three tweeters share: they're all Howard County parents. (For clarification, I am not one of them, but you can verify that for yourself.)

Teacher Appreciation week is full of little gifts, kind notes, special events and meals put on by the PTA. And all of that is genuine on the part of parents and gratefully received by teachers. But these pointedly honest statements represent a new kind of teacher appreciation which, in my opinion, give this week a whole new meaning.

The Superintendent uses a catchy hashtag: teachers are #YourBestApp . I have no earthly idea what that means. I would suggest a different hashtag this year: #HoCoParentsHaveYourBack . Here's my tweet:

Thanks to my daughter's #HCPSS teachers who meet her where she is & inspire her to be her best. #ThankATeacher #HoCoParentsHaveYourBack

We appreciate teachers this week, every week, and especially on Election Day. I hope that next year's Teacher Appreciation Week is even better than this one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

F ³: Who Belongs at the Library?

  One of these things is not like the others One of these things doesn't belong Can you tell which thing is not like the other By the time we finish our song?* Did you guess which thing is not like the others? Did you guess which thing doesn't belong? If you guessed this thing is not like the others Then you're absolutely right.  Our library promotes equity. Our library promotes literacy for adults who have come here from many places. Our library promotes accessibility to materials and opportunities. Our library is hosting multiple Harry Potter themed events?  Tell me this isn’t so. J.K. Rowling, author of the Harry Potter book series, has and continues to use the profits from those books to advocate for laws that diminish the rights of trans people. She has and continues to use her fame to influence public opinion to view and treat trans people negatively. In short, Ms. Rowling is using the Harry Potter book series to make transgender people around the world less safe....