Skip to main content

Old News


 

January 17, 2014

@LukeHoCoTimes: #BreakingNews: @ColumbiaAssn announces President Phil Nelson to leave post April 30, story to come

This morning Facebook sent me this reminder of days gone by. I liked Mr. Nelson. I even put him on my refrigerator.

Phil Nelson is On My Refrigerator

That piece first appeared when my blog was on Patch and my editor was David Greisman. Boy, do I ever miss him on the local scene. Oh, and by the way, the author of the piece about Phil Nelson, Luke Lavoie, has left journalism. He’s now a senior manager in marketing strategy for a company called 2U. Grieisman is the Media Relations Manager of Capital Impact Partners. 

Meanwhile, over at Patch they have a habit of throwing three wildly disparate stories together to catch the eye of internet scrollers. I hate it. An example:




One wonders if they dump all the local news in the hopper and then hit “spin”. It’s the slot machine approach. There’s absolutely no sense of what stories would be appropriate to group together. Perhaps it’s the dump out your purse approach.

What have you got in there?

I dunno, let me look…Ooh, I got a fatal car crash, a spelling bee winner, and an upcoming religious holiday. What d’you got?

It’s painful.

If it looks as though perhaps I didn’t get much sleep last night, that would be correct. I’m hoping to catch up with a nap later. 

Happy Tuesday that feels like Monday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...