Skip to main content

Time for a Change


 

August 3rd is a day I think of fondly as “Accordion Day.”


Photo by Sara Hogue

Police respond to a report of a suspicious package on Cradlerock Way in Columbia discovered it was only a musical instrument inside a suitcase.*

Only a musical instrument inside a suitcase? It was an accordion! Have you ever listened to someone practicing the accordion? You wouldn’t dismiss them quite so lightly if you had. I suppose that’s what makes this story all the more humorous to me - - the thought that brave first responders are ridding the community of one more troublesome accordion.

If you play the accordion, or are fond of them, please accept my apologies. They are too loud for my head. Also, no accordions were harmed on this day back in 2012. I don’t think they took it to a remote site and detonated it. I wonder if it was ever reunited with its owner?

How lovely it was when we had local news coverage, if only for an accordion in a suitcase. Or, perhaps, especially for an accordion in a suitcase. 

I decided this week to cancel my subscription to the Baltimore Sun/Howard County Times/Columbia Flier. At almost $350 dollars annually, it has become too weighty an expense to justify, especially since the local coverage has become scant and often downright inaccurate. Still, I’m grateful that the Howard County Library System offers free access to its patrons. 

In the meantime I’m looking at the new Baltimore Banner and/or Baltimore Beat.

I’ve been a huge advocate for supporting local journalism. But during the primary the Howard County coverage was so abysmal that something broke inside me. It felt like that awful realization that your boyfriend is never, ever going to love you back. I’m tired, and disheartened.

My sincere hope is that some miracle occurs and that Columbia/HoCo news coverage comes roaring back with a passion not seen since a certain iconic local building reigned supreme on Little Patuxent Parkway. 

Make it so.



*Suspicious package in Columbia turns out to be an accordion, Jessica Andersen and Andrea F. Siegel, Baltimore Sun

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...