Skip to main content

Concert Reflections

My older sister bought a James Taylor album when I was in the sixth grade and I was so taken with his music that I manually recorded it with my cassette tape recorder so that I could play it over and over again. The year was 1970 and the album was Sweet Baby James.

Since then his music has continued to speak to me. I love many different kinds of music from English choral music to musical theatre to the Beatles and beyond. But something about the music of James Taylor speaks to the core of me. I think we all have music like that--at least I hope we do.

Thursday night my husband took me to see James Taylor in concert. As a fan I experienced the concert with joyful excitement. I clapped, I swayed, I mouthed the words, I cried. As a musician I noticed and pondered the changes in how the songs are performed as time passes.

The tempi are slower now. The forward-driving pulse has let up a bit. He takes time with each line, savoring the meaning. The up-tempo pieces still retain their kick, but the lyrical ones invite us to linger.

Part of me wants the music to be exactly the way it is on the record. But the reality is that music is a living thing and that he has been living with this music on the road all his life. It breathes, it grows, it evolves. He may take extra time with the melodic line to emphasize the the lyrics, or he may weave a new melody around the old one, making reference to the orginal as he interpolates, embellishes.

The last time I saw James Taylor I was right out of high school and it was all about the music and the excitement of going to my first really big concert. This time the experience was colored by the perspective of middle age--understanding how time passes, people age, things change. We can't go back.

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time..."

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...