Skip to main content

Schools and Home Rule

Yesterday was about opportunity. Today is about challenge.

While choosing to live in Columbia presents a opportunity to get involved, trends in the Howard County Schools are reducing meaningful involvement. So the same people who reach out to engage may find themselves rebuffed.

As a response to the nationwide preoccupation with standardized test scores, hcpss has focused numerous efforts on "underperforming" schools. What does this mean? Well, while schools with consistently high test scores have a great deal of autonomy, schools with low scores receive much more specific direction from Central Office. They lose what I like to call "Home Rule".

The culmination of this is, of course, the Model Schools Initiative which is scheduled to begin this Fall in five Title One schools. Now, this piece is not a critique of the initiative itself--it contains both good and bad components--but rather an attempt to show how little control these schools have over their own destinies. All of these schools are in Columbia.

The kind of people who are drawn to Columbia have enthusiam, energy, open-mindedness. And they have opinions. If choosing Columbia means an opportunity to get involved in your child's education, then these people are going to want meaningful involvement. They may be willing to look beyond test scores as a definition of school performance, but the lack of Home Rule could very well be a deal breaker.

A friend of mine said this, "I don't hear a lot about parents being eager to send their children to our public schools any more. I do hear a lot about home schooling." This was an eye-opener for me. Among my friends with young children, I do see a growing desire to opt out of the standardized public education system and create something better.

Why? Because these are those enthusiastic, energetic, open-minded people who have opinions. And they want to be a part of their child's education. When parents don't see a meaningful role for themselves in their neighborhood schools, we lose a vital reason for them to want to live in those neighborhoods.

Letting "the people" get involved is a messy process. But it is central to a sense of ownership. If we want to bring more families to Columbia, we need reasons for them to be a part of things--not on the outside, looking in. When parents are cut off from engagement in their child's school, the ones who are able to consider other options will do so: private school or home schooling.

And so we lose those children, who would add to our school communities. And we lose those parents, who have so much to give to our schools. And then our schools, little by little, become the schools of those who have no choice. And then, Columbia--

What do you think?


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...