Skip to main content

So Columbia

A few weeks ago it was all the rage on Facebook to say, "I'm so Columbia..." and then complete the sentence with memories of bygone times and places. It was fun for those participating, but it was not a game I could play. My roots in Columbia date back only as far as 1999.

Facebook allows all of us to indulge our nostalgia. I have, at one time or another, participated groups dedicated to growing up in Cleveland Heights, Fans of Hough Bakeries, former students of Coventry Elementary School, and the like. My roots, and my deep formative memories, are there. And it's fun to bump up against others who share those memories. Nostalgia is a dish best shared.

Recently I became a member of a new group on Facebook: Celebrating Columbia, Maryland and its Future. It has been refreshing to interact, albeit virtually, with people who define themselves by their love of the place rather than the years they have lived here. Rather like the old saying, "In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."

Saturday night I attended a picnic with people who share a love for Columbia and where it is going. Conversation was positive and thought-provoking. Topics ranged from how Columbia could be more child-friendly, to the importance of making home ownership possible for real middle-class families, to reaching out to new residents, and more. The spirit of the People Tree was definitely present. The prohibitions of those wedded only to the past were not.

All of which is to say that I'm ready to play the game. "I'm so Columbia..."

I'm so Columbia that I'm excited about the present and I want to be an active part of the future.

How about you?

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...