Skip to main content

Newspeak in Howard County

Spotted in a teacher's lounge in the Howard County Public Schools:
 
Rigor = Vigor
 
Really? Now teachers have to make bulletin boards to encourage eachother to do things they already know to be false? Really?
 
Do you remember "Newspeak", from George Orwell's novel 1984?

Newspeak is the fictional language in the novel Nineteen Eighty-Four, written by George Orwell. It is a controlled language created by the totalitarian state as a tool to limit freedom of thought, and concepts that pose a threat to the regime such as freedom, self-expression, individuality, and peace. Any form of thought alternative to the party’s construct is classified as "thoughtcrime". (from Wikipedia)

For a side-by-side comparison on the definitions of rigor and vigor, please look here. One has its roots in death, the other in life. Anyone with basic dictionary skills can work that out. The sign I saw was a part of an ongoing bulletin board project exhorting teachers to ramp up rigor. It made me sad.

And it made me angry. Teachers go to school for advanced training in the field of education, and once they graduate they go to work in a system that treats them like simple-minded children or worse. No wonder fewer and fewer college students are choosing teaching as a career. Who in their right mind would choose a field where there is so little autonomy and respect?

I have enormous respect for the teachers in our school system. We should be treating them as valued professionals and partners in our community life. We should be listening to their ideas, not asking them to commit professional malpractice by forcing them to engage in questionable "Newspeak" and making them focus their efforts around high stakes testing rather than the growth of our children.

When rigor is defined as vigor, and testing is defined as education, we know we have reached an Orwellian state of affairs. Is that what we want in Howard County, a Ministry of Truth?

Meaningful progress comes not from bulletin boards or standardized tests but from partnering with parents and teachers and empowering them to be a part of the solution. I think it's time to ask those in power to go back to school--to listen. And learn.

 

 
 
 
 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...