Skip to main content

Uncommon Women

Last night was the induction ceremony for the Howard County Women's Commission Hall of Fame. As uncharacteristic as it may seem, in light of my general dislike of public functions, I not only committed to going--I actually went. I had that little talk with myself in the mirror about walking the walk, and I went.

I went to support my friend Nina, who is the chair of the Commission, and I went to honor Courtney Watson, one of the five inductees. And I went to show my support for these Uncommon Women who have pushed boundaries and challenged the status quo and made things happen in Howard County. Oh, how I wish that they were all bloggers!

It was heartening to see the County Council room packed for an event about women. Every day I read about so many ways, big and small, that women are abused, ignored, harassed, and underestimated. For one night in Howard County, it was all about women. From the students whose essays clearly said, "I am ready," to young women like Nina Basu who spoke of challenges and triumphs, to Courtney Watson who took her moment in the spotlight to say, "I am not finished," to other honorees who were looking back on amazing careers.

In a culture that honors youth and beauty in women, anyone who doesn't fit the mold can find themselves marginalized. Seeing the continuum last night from teen to young woman to young mother to middle-age to retiree, even great grandmother, was inspiring to me. In this room it was not about being thin or pretty, or whether one had married well. It was about who you really are, and what you are doing for others.

How can we, as women, be a strong community for each other? How do we use our voices to support the voiceless? How can Howard County be a place where strong, intelligent, gifted, and giving women want to live and work and make their homes?

The fact that I am waking up today with these questions on my mind is a testament to the County Commission for Women and to the example of the five inductees last night. I thought I was going to honor them. The takeaway is this nagging feeling that my story is somehow interwoven with their story, and that I have a reponsibility to pursue that connection.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...