Skip to main content

Style Meets Substance?

So Allan Kittleman has been in office for over a hundred days now, and folks are writing pieces about how he's shaping up as County Executive. Since it hasn't been all that long, we're faced with a limited sampling of what he's actually done, and how he's done it. And for those of us writing opinion pieces, as opposed to journalists, we're also bringing past experiences and preconceived notions into the mix.

My past experiences and preconceived notions prompt me to compare the County Executive I know the most about, Ken Ulman, to the newer model. It's hard to forget Mr. Ulman, after all. He had two terms to work himself into the public consciousness. And he continues to find his way into the news in his new position working with the University of Maryland to make College Park an inviting environment for high tech businesses, start-ups, and entrepreneurs. Gone but not forgotten. Hardly gone, even.

Ah, Ken Ulman. "Not your father's Oldsmobile," I thought, shaking my head. But wait. So does that make Allan Kittleman--your father's Oldsmobile? Not quite a fair assessment, even for a facile one. Let me back this up a bit.

No, Ulman is more of a Smart Car with Prius intentions. (Or is that the other way around?) There's just no Oldsmobile about him. He sprang into action as County Executive with zest, earnestness and cutting-edge ambitions. You want to get behind the wheel of an Ulman? Be prepared to drive on some new roads.

Now, from what I have seen of Kittleman, the term "Not your father's Oldsmobile" is a better fit for him. Though made from a more traditional mold, he has been willing to push boundaries when it has come to things like the Route One Homeless Shelter. He appears to be relatively enlightened when it comes to LGBTQ issues. But, so far, driving a Kittleman looks like it's going to be a smoother ride. He brings a rather settled gravitas to his role.

No one will be surprised to hear that I miss the excitement and inspired thinking of Mr. Ulman. But I have to acknowledge that there are people out there in Howard County who found the past eight years to be an exhausting ride. They elected Mr. Kittleman, after all. I have no doubt they have found the past one hundred days or so to be restful.

We don't really know yet, do we? A handful of actions, or photo ops, or speeches are not enough to produce anything deeper than a few good off-the-cuff opinions. As time goes on we'll see where this ride is taking us.

Speaking of which, I highly recommend this piece by Jason Booms of Spartan Considerations. He's looking at a decision which may be a strong indicator of where we are headed. In the meantime, Happy Spring! And don't forget to brush the snow off your car when you head out today.

 


 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...