Skip to main content

Loose Ends

Many, many threads. Lots of knots. Too many separate lines of inquiry. Not one single complete narrative. That's where things stand today at VG/TS.

I should note that the very first person who responded to my letter about school budget cuts was Council Member Jon Weinstein. (Also heard from the administrative assistant for the BoE, Allan Kittleman, and Calvin Ball.) I know everyone was swamped with letters on this particular issue, so all responses are much appreciated. I certainly hope that the County Executive and the County Council will do what the Board of Education did not, and restore funding for those much-needed positions. Again, a word of thanks to Board members Cindy Vaillancourt and Bess Altwerger for providing some refreshing sanity on this issue.

Updated Update: Due to inclement weather, the HCEA open community meeting on the local and state budgets is rescheduled for Tuesday, March 10th, 5-6PM in the Homewood cafeteria. If you haven’t already done so, they ask you to RSVP here to give an idea of how much pizza they need.

I have a number of questions submitted by readers to send to Joel Gallihue of the Howard County Schools, pertaining to over-enrollment, new school building, redistricting, etc. So that is a post looming in the future.

Have you signed up to run for your village board or CA representative? Now is the season for picking up your packet and deciding to be a part of making Columbia better. You know what I think would make Columbia better? Online voting. Who is in charge of that?

I have discovered that I am not the only person appalled by the implementation of the HCPSS Dress Code. You'll definitely be hearing more about that in the near future.

And finally, a HoCoHoller to Eric Freed at Away from the Things of Man for his spicy and unique adventures at the Chili Cookoff put on by Grace Community Church. Mark your calendars for March 8th to attend the final Chili Cookoff at the Church of the Resurrection at 3175 Paulskirk Drive in Ellicott City, MD. From Eric's blog:

While there is no admission charge, you can vote for your favorite chili (or congregation) by "tipping" money towards your favorites. All proceeds from the chili cook-off directly benefit Bridges to Housing Stability, so you're encouraged to be generous with your tips. The "winner" gets the Golden Ladle. Please come out and support this wonderful charity. Bridges works to empower local families to maintain stability in their homes and through community partnerships to prevent homelessness in Howard County.

Now, if we can just get through the rest of this school week without any closings...

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...