Skip to main content

Aside

(Breaking the third wall here, walks down towards audience.)

I don't consider the things I write here as the be-all and end-all on any topic. I write to express my opinion, which may be impassioned, and I am always hopeful to start a conversation. Just because I have a strong opinion does not mean that I think it's my way or the highway.

Yesterday Oakland Mills community activist Karen Gray spent a long time both here and on Facebook outlining an opposing point of view as to the $50,000 sought by Oakland Mills from the County Budget. She has put a lot of thought into her position. She has a lot of experience to back that up. She could be "right." I could be "right".

The reader gets to decide for themselves.

As for me, a pattern of behavior by this board leadership has brought me to a point that I feel that a change in Board Leadership is the best possible outcome for the future of Oakland Mills. I laid out examples of some of that behavior for you yesterday. I've reached my "Network" moment with their style of leadership.

My concern is that, even with County involvement and a County process, OM Board Leadership will be given pride of place at every turn. They will be having secret meetings behind the scenes. They will be leaking their own agenda to the press. They will shape the conversation; they will poison the process. And that is not a good long-term investment for Oakland Mills or the County.

So that's where I stand. But it's clear that mine is not the only point of view on this. Readers, especially residents of Oakland Mills, need to decide what they think is best. If you want to weigh in, the Council Meeting is Monday night. The Council Bill CB 42-2015.

To be clear: the County Council has absolutely no jurisdiction over our elected Oakland Mills Village leadership. But they will be deciding whether this particular project is a good investment at this time. What do you think?

(Action resumes.)

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...