Skip to main content

Lima Beans

Jenny's Market posted a large photo of Lima beans on Facebook this weekend and it reminded me of a song I once heard on WTMD in Towson. I wish I could find it for you. It went like this:

Whenever I find money in my jeans,
I always buy some Lima bean.

And I laughed when I heard it and thought, "Ugh. Really?"

Lima beans and Brussels sprouts were the two vegetables I hated the most as a child. You know, the sort of food you would sit at the dinner table until eight o'clock and still refuse to eat. (Yes, my mother tried that. No, it doesn't work.)

Both are foods to which I was reintroduced years later, fresh from the farm, and it made a world of difference. Limas beans as a side dish at a back yard cookout in Southern Maryland. Picked, cooked, eaten.within hours. A bit of butter. Surprisingly edible. The Brussels sprouts from a farm stand outside of Princeton, New Jersey. They were young and tender and we cooked them lightly and marinated them in a homemade vinaigrette for a summer salad. Delicious.

AnnieRie's most recent blog post reminded me that this is the time for the Maryland Buy Local Challenge. While I do shop the Oakland Mills Farmers Market regularly, I haven't ever been to Jenny's, and I should. It's a Howard County institution, and it would get me out of my Oakland Mills bubble to try something new.

Still not entirely sure about the Lima beans, though.

What are some ways that you will be buying local this year?

Comments are welcome here:

https://www.facebook.com/VillageGreenTownSquared/?ref=bookmarks


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...