Skip to main content

Sleepy Sunday

A quick Sunday round-up from a tired mom who had to stay up late to pick up her teen from the theatre. In Olney.


  • Thanks to everyone who has donated to the G.R.A.C.E. McComas Memorial Scholarship Fund, and to those who have shared her story, especially local bloggers HowChow, Dr. Chao Wu, Harry Schwarz, Jessie Newburn, and Scott Ewart. 
  • Oh, yeah: HowChow is back. I know I'm not the only one who's missed his voice on local food scene topics. Case in point: his comments section stayed alive as a community unto itself while he was on hiatus.
  • Blogger Annie Rie says she's going to try to post more often, which is great because I've really been missing her voice, too. Also photographs of vegetables I have never seen before plus how to cook them. 
  • I'm hearing rumours of a HoCo bloggers party later in the summer. I'll keep you posted.
  • Today is Free Second Sunday Swim at all CA Outdoor Pools. You need a Columbia Card to get in, but, if you are like us and pay as you go, you already have one,
  • Art in the Park, 2-4. (See yesterday's post.)
  • Monthly Black Lives Matter Vigil from 4-5: Governor Warfield Parkway and Windstream Drive.
I'm working on a piece about visiting Main Street Old Ellicott City yesterday for the Farmer's Market. Look for that tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...