Skip to main content

Table Talk

Well, not the serious news. But news just the same. These might be more fun to talk about at the dinner table tomorrow than national news.

From Twitter:

Howard County, MD. 
approx. 4:06pm. 
7 adolescent boys seen pouring ice down their driveway and sledding down it on trash can lids.

Anyone out there who is the parent of an adolescent boy should feel free to explain this to me. I’ve just had girls and the craziest thing that has happened so far involved our dining room light fixture and a makeshift Xena Warrior Princess “staff” fashioned from an old broom handle.

From Facebook: 

At the Board offices- a small herd of lovely black horses gallop across the ARL and through the BOE yard.  When I left the police had traffic stopped, the horses were calmly munching grass, and the security and risk management people were looking for rope.  I would pay money to see them lassoing those sweeties.  As long as they are safe, all's well that ends well.

UPDATE:
The horses were quietly wrangled and are home safely. 

From Columbia Patch:

Howard County Executive Wants Input On 2019 Budget

Poor man. He doesn’t get to have any input on the budget? 

Oh, wait.

He wants your input on the budget. I was feeling sorry for him for a minute there.

Longtime HoCo Blogger Bill Woodcock of The 53 is apparently contemplating winding down his blogging years, to conclude with coverage of the 2018 election. I don’t plan anything that far in advance!

HoCoMoJo mogul and producer of the Elevate Maryland podcast Ilana Bittner led a spirited discussion on Facebook by asking this question:

That bread dish that you cook inside the turkey, sometimes made from cornbread. What do you call that?  #thanksgiving #linguistics

That could be a pleasant a relatively painless topic of conversation. See also: gravy boats.
 
Enjoy your Thanksgiving holiday. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...