Skip to main content

New Ventures


Have you started anything new lately? I keep reading suggestions that now is the time to take up a hobby you’ve always been interested in or learn a new language. I’ve done more crafting, but mostly I’m thrilled to be catching on housework that never seems to get fully accomplished while both of us work full time. I suppose you could say that’s something new.

Around town there are a few new ventures of note. The Elevate Maryland podcast now has a weekly e-newsletter. It’s easy to subscribe. Go to their website and look for the Elevated Voices newsletter on the homepage. It’s described as, “a weekly curated list of Maryland’s best political coverage and commentary.” Podcast cohost Tom Coale used to feature a Friday Links column on his blog HoCoRising. The new Elevated Voices newsletter is very much in that vein.

Over at the library, there’s a new blog called Chapter Chats. From Christie Lassen:


Chapter Chats will feature recommendations for materials in our collection (books, movies, music), information about our online content, and news from the Library. You can follow it here (https://chapterchats.org/) and on our social media. You'll notice the photo on the blog's home page features Frederick Toad, one of the sculptures in the Enchanted Garden at the Miller Branch. Frederick is practicing good social distancing while he reads his book.

Take a moment to check out the new blog and especially to check out Frederick. He’s adorable.

The Downtown Columbia Partnership has kicked off DTC Radio, a podcast which they describe as “the voice of Downtown Columbia.” You can check them out here. Early episodes feature downtown dining at Cured/18th & 21st, and a talk with Columbia Council member Deb Jung, hosted by DTC Director Phillip Dodge. 

Is there something new happening that you think I ought to know about? Tell me here. In the meantime, happy Monday! Have you mailed in your ballot yet?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...