Skip to main content

Be A Part Of It


 From the community inspired mural at the East Columbia Branch Library to the fantastical 140 foot long “Parade” at DoodleHATCH, public art has been on my mind lately. I’ve noticed a few more opportunities to be a part of the local art scene that I want to share with you. 

The folks at Merriweather Park in Symphony Woods are kicking off their season with a picnic table art project. From the announcement:

The Trust invites individual artists, students, groups, corporations, non-profit organizations, and others to propose a design to paint onto a picnic table to be displayed in Symphony Woods during 2021.  As we emerge from the pandemic, the Trust wants to create a whimsical picnic area available for the community to enjoy.  

Deadline for submissions 11:59 p.m. on April 24, 2021. Learn more here.

I still remember what a great variety of creations were produced for the “Celebrating the Arts in the Park” Adirondack chair contest in 2017. Here’s an example from the Park’s Facebook page:


I encourage you to make a design and get in on the fun. This is for everyone. Who knows, we could be picnicking at your table later this summer! More on the importance of picnic tables. 

Another local call for art comes from Busboys and Poets, whose opening in the Merriweather District has been anticipated with great impatience since it was announced in September of 2019. This one looks geared for the professional artists among us:

Submit Your Art 

Now accepting applications for Columbia and Baltimore, MD

We review artwork for display at our locations year-round, in the order submissions are received. The artwork is rotated approximately twice per year (every six months). Preference will be given to local artists with a large body of work. Most often, large works stand out best in our spaces. Please submit your materials below and allow 4-6 weeks for review.

Click the link above for more information.

What’s your favorite piece of art in Columbia/HoCo? I’m fond of the statues at the Lakefront but I also have a soft spot in my heart for the Ellicott City Eggplant.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...