Skip to main content

Short and Sweet


 

And, don’t forget: you heard it here, folks: a Howard County hedgehog is a finalist for the next Cadbury Bunny.

Truth in advertising: this story pulled from a Twitter link.

Howard County hedgehog is a finalist for the next Cadbury Bunny Bryna Zumer for WMAR2 Baltimore

Are you familiar with the annual Cadbury chocolates adverts where a variety of animals are depicted auditioning to be the Cadbury Bunny? Here’s the original from 1994.

Cadbury Easter Bunny Tryouts

In 2019 Cadbury used the framework of the original ad campaign to launch a nationwide contest.

Cadbury hosting new Cadbury Bunny contest for Easter Wesley Coburn for dogoday.com

This year there are ten finalists and adorable Maple, a two year old African Pygmy Hedgehog, is one of them. You can learn more about Maple in Ms. Zumer’s article (linked above) and on Maple’s very own  Instagram account. She has over 10,600 followers. Unbelievably, there are at least ten Instagram accounts with variations on that name. Accept no substitutions. Look for maplehedgie.

When I read long ago that in the future everyone would be famous for fifteen minutes, I did not anticipate that pets would be included. It’s possible that Andy Warhol didn’t either. Social media sure sped that up. When I was growing up the only famous pets in my frame of reference were Rin Tin Tin and Lassie, although they were really before my time. Well, perhaps Morris the Cat, the professional mascot for Nine Lives cat food, was the most famous “pet” of my childhood. 

What a long and strange road from Morris to Jorts, eh?

Now ordinary household pets have their own social media accounts and vie for clout and even sponsorships. Their owners generate storylines for them and even sell merch. I’m not quite sure how I feel about all this, in particular: do the animals at the center of this trend actually have happy lives? I sure hope so.

Back to Maple. Here she is, enjoying some watermelon.



Photo courtesy of maplehedgie Instagram 


If you’d like to support the cute little Hedgehog who is Howard County’s first ever finalist in Cadbury’s Bunny contest, you can vote daily through March 22nd. You’ll have to register first but it’s easy and they don’t ask for much information.

Vote for Maple

A bonus for your participation is this:



Cadbury is donating five thousand dollars to the ASPCA along with an additional five thousand donation for every five thousand incremental votes up to a total of twenty thousand dollars.

That’s pretty sweet.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...