Remember how hot it was yesterday? Our former neighbor came across a dog inside a hot car in a shopping center parking lot. This was not in Columbia/HoCo, but, it easily could have been. A long-time professional dog trainer and lover of dogs, our friend knew just what to do.
She called the police to report it and waited with the car.
In the meantime she tried the door. It was unlocked. She opened it to give the dog some air and offered a dish of cool water. The dog, who was panting, happily lapped up the water. In case you are wondering, of course she had a dog dish and water available. She’s just that kind of person.
The police came and talked to the family when they returned. It seems that they had gone inside to eat dinner in a restaurant and just locked the dog in their car. They acted surprised that there was any law pertaining to what they had done.
“Funny how they didn’t leave their kids in the car,” our friend wrote angrily in her Facebook post recounting the incident.
From the Humane Society website:
Leaving pets locked in cars is never safe. But when the weather gets warmer, it can be deadly. High temperatures can cause irreparable organ damage and even death.
This article has everything you need to know if you come across a similar situation.
“What to do if you see a pet in a parked car”, The Humane Society website
I really liked this suggestion:
Get involved: Ask local store managers, shopping malls, restaurants and other businesses to post signs asking customers not to leave their pets in their cars while shopping or dining. A huge part of the solution to this problem is raising awareness.
In the meantime, it’s not going to be so hot today. What a relief. There’s plenty to do around town.
- Dan and Claudia Zanes at the Chrysalis
- The Big Blue Block Party at Colorburst Park
- Savage Mill Bluegrass Festival at Savage Mill
- Farmers Market at Clarksville Commons