Skip to main content

A Healthy Dose of Humility


 

Yesterday was a prime example of why I am quick to point out that I am a blogger and not a journalist. 

It is true that the Regal UA at Snowden Square is closing in its current form. But apparently there is some knowledge out there that it will rebrand and reopen as a Cinemark theatre. Cinemark operates the Egyptian at Arundel Mills Mall, which I still think of as “Muvico Egyptian.”

I could not find official verification in writing anywhere in a basic internet search. A helpful reader provided this link about Regal’s financial state and restructuring but it does not mention by name the theatres in question. It did, however, make my eyes go a bit cross eyed as my brain tried to parse what I was reading.

It certainly would have been good business on Cinemark’s part to publicize this in a positive way to avoid the kind of alarm and confusion we saw on social media yesterday. On the other hand, maybe that’s all a part of the plan - - I am not in the movie theatre business.

At any rate, I offer my apologies. I jumped the gun without having the whole story. (It’s no consolation to me that the Baltimore Fishbowl website went exactly the same route that I did. They have since updated their story.) 

I should have done better.

*****

This upcoming event at the Meeting House in Oakland Mills caught my eye.


Image from Jewish Federation of Howard County social media 


Join the Jewish Federation of Howard Counts for a festive evening learning all about: Henna Parties and Moroccan Jewish Traditions.

Sunday, July 23 • 6:30 PM • The Meeting House

5885 Robert Oliver Place • Columbia

* Enjoy Moroccan music, snacks, and tea

* Learn about Henna and Sephardic Jewish traditions *

* Experience a traditional Henna ceremony led by Ora Fisch! *

Vegetarian snacks & desserts prepared in a kosher home.

This event is for all genders! • $10/person • $5/kids and teens

*Registration Required*: tinvurl.com/IFHCHenna

Questions? Contact Ortal Zinger at ortal@jewishhowardcounty.org

Alas, I just noticed that registration for this closed last night but you can always contact Ortal Zinger at ortal@jewishhowardcounty.org to see if perhaps there’s one space left or to ask if they are considering offering this again. It looks fascinating.

One thing that isn’t closed is the Howard County Jewish History Project exhibit at the Howard County Welcome Center in Old Ellicott City. The end date has been extended until August 21st. This article in the Baltimore Sun will tell you more about what to expect when you visit. 

Also of note: the new Student-to-Student Program which the Jewish Federation of Howard County will be participating in to foster greater understanding about Judaism among young people. You can learn more at their website and also watch a short video about how the program works in St. Louis. 

*****

At the moment the weather doesn’t look very promising and I’m considering stocking up on library books. What have you got planned? 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...