Skip to main content

F ³: Twitter Gold


 

Twitter is again circling the drain and folks are scrambling to find other social media options. People love to bash Twitter and it has always had it flaws. But what it does well, it does extemely well. I continue to feel a sense of loss as the current owner destroys it.

For all the easily found toxicity one hears about, Twitter also contains deep veins of humanity, compassion, and wit. This week a simple question was posed by KC Davis, author of How to Keep House While Drowning.

What is a random piece of micro-advice your parents gave you? Not advice on big or significant things, but nevertheless something you’ll never forget. 

My mom used to say “One dog is a pet. Two dogs is dogs.”

My response:

Never send a note to a boy that you wouldn’t want to see printed on the first page of the newspaper.

(If you know, you know.)

Here is a sample of responses to her question. You can read more beginning here.

  • Not my mom but a friend’s mom told her this when she was worrying about leaving her abusive husband and it’s stuck with me: “Marriage is like pancakes. There ain’t no shame in throwing out the first one”

  • My grandfather: “Never give an adult advice unless they ask for advice”. My mother: “Sugar is poison”. My grandmother: “Never spell a person’s name wrong, or use pet names unless invited to do so”. The above advice have served me well.

  • Follow this advice from my mother to this day: “When in doubt about what to do, and it’s not a life or death decision, do the next best thing. That might be washing a load of clothes or taking a nap.” The nap part really stuck. It’s my go-to “preamble” to problem-solving. 

  • My grandma used to tell me to help people if I could, and if I couldn’t help them, bake them cookies.

  • When my dad was dying, he told us “there’s never a reason to eat a burger without bacon and cheese” and “never mow the lawn after the World Series starts”. Advice for life.

  • “Always invest in things between you and the ground: tires, shoes, mattresses” - - My ex boyfriend’s dad. I hope he’s doing well.

  • My mom has always been big on "we're all doing the best that we can." My lighter favorite is "always stop at lemonade stands."

*****

Many years ago I read or heard somewhere that you should “never eat at a place called Mom’s or play cards with a man named Doc.” I regret to say that it was probably because of this that I never ate at Ma’s Kettle in Savage, which has recently closed. From what I hear that old advice was off the mark in their case and I missed out on some good eats.

Now it’s your turn. What is a random piece of micro-advice your parents gave you? Not advice on big or significant things, but nevertheless something you’ll never forget. It doesn’t necessarily have to be good advice, just memorable.

Village Green/Town² Comments









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...