Skip to main content

Education Roundup

A quick look at what's happening on the education front this morning. The bill (introduced by Calvin Ball) on budget oversight has passed. Also, air quality testing (this means: mold) has been completed in twelve schools by an independent contractor, at the direction of the County Executive. You can read more here.

Take a look at the Mold in Howard County Schools FB page for an update on asbestos found under tiles at Glenwood Middle School. Of course, asbestos is never good news, but it looks like the way this is being handled is refreshingly transparent. Progress? I hope so.

The Commission to review the use of testing in Maryland's Schools has released its report. In my opinion, it doesn't go far enough, but encouraging the involvement of teachers in evaluating the usefulness of assessments at the local level is a start. Their recommendations are just that: recommendations. They don't have the power of enforcement, so we'll have to see how this plays out.

Board of Education member Bess Altwerger was one of the organizers of the recent Save our Schools March in DC. From candidate Robert Miller, also present:

Jonathan Kozol speaking at Save Our Schools March DC: Fear of Failure instead of Joy of Learning in our Schools due to overtesting; Arts treated as distractions since they can't be measured with numbers...transformation is going to happen.

Learn more about the Save Our Schools movement here. Scroll down for the complete platform.

In closing, a little song that packs quite a punch. You all know my aversion to the ed reform buzzword du jour: rigor. It turns out I'm not alone. Barry Lane went so far as to write a song about it. "Superficialunrealisticrigorisatrocious" set to the tune of a familiar Mary Poppins song, makes short work of the ridiculousness of pushing meaningless struggle as a means of raising test scores. He says,

about

Legendary book blogger and high school teacher Paul Hankins sent me a wonderful draft of this. He wrote all the best parts. I finished it while jogging in a parking lot in Texas and realized it was a song that says what many teachers feel. We don't need "rigged, rigor," in schools but "real rigor," which I would call, VIGOR!. Repeat after me, VIGOR NOT RIGOR!

Amen.

*****

If you're not tired of singing yet, this song by Tom Chapin is highly recommended.

lyrics

 

aboutLegendary book blogger and high school teacher Paul Hankins sent me a wonderful draft of this. He wrote all the best parts. I finished it while jogging in a parking lot in Texas and realized it was a song that says what many teachers feel. We don't need "rigged, rigor," in schools but "real rigor," which I would call, VIGOR!. Repeat after me, VIGOR NOT RIGOR!

lyrics

 

abouLegendary book blogger and high school teacher Paul Hankins sent me a wonderful draft of this. He wrote all the best parts. I finished it while jogging in a parking lot in Texas and realized it was a song that says what many teachers feel. We don't need "rigged, rigor," in schools but "real rigor," which I would call, VIGOR!. Repeat after me, VIGOR NOT RIGOR!

lyrics

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...