Skip to main content

A Baaaaad Plaaannn

Back when all of our kids were young, my sister and brother-in-law had two ways to categorize behavior when it came to their two rambunctious boys. Was it an "accident"? Or was it a "bad plan"? I remember hearing my ever-patient brother-in-law call out, "Don't do it, Greg!" in a warning tone before one of these incidents would occur. And then, the aftermath.

"That was a baaaaad plaaannn, Greg."

This expression came to mind when I was discussing pet peeves with my local Facebook friends. I was stumped by the following:

"The general request for the need for "walkability" when no one wants to walk more than 50 feet to get into a store...or the gym."

She elaborated, "There are many, many people who like to walk, or bike around town. The people who annoy me are the ones who "claim" to want walkability and then complain when they can't get a close parking space."

Hmm...I had to think about that. It stayed in my head most of the day. It was a holiday, and there was a sale at Joann's, so I popped over to look for some bargains. I was not alone.

It was hot, and I was cranky and annoyed. And then I thought of what my friend said. "...the ones who "claim" to want walkability and then complain when they can't get a close parking space." And, right there in the hot and crowded parking lot, I had an epiphany.

This is not Walkability. This is a Baaad Plaaannn.

This particular parking lot, at Columbia Crossing on Dobbin, is a sea of concrete where walking isn't even on the menu. I believe Jessie Newburn has opined quite eloquently on this already.(http://ow.ly/oy3oA)  All one can hope for is the closest parking place. Everything else is Purgatory or Hell for pedestrians. The retail establishment and the automobile have been planned for, the walker is an afterthought.

Yes, I am certainly capable of walking this distance, even on a hot day. But that is not the point. Walkability is not simply about the ability and or desire to walk more. It is a quality of life issue. Let us improve the experience of walking as we go about our daily lives, shopping, going to work, school, community events. As long as our experience is improved only by snagging the close parking space, we continue to be mired in an outdated and moribund sea of concrete.

We are capable of making better choices. Will Columbia Crossing ever be transformed? Or will it slowly wither as newer ways to shop are planned and come to fruition--places where Walkability is central to The Plan.

Stay tuned, Columbia.

hocoblogs@@@

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...