Skip to main content

Monday Morning Quarterbacking

I don't follow football. In fact, I truly don't like football. But the enthusiasm with which Marshmallow Man of The 53 Blog prepares for this yearly set of rituals makes me smile. It just makes me happy to see someone so full of enjoyment. For me, the only equivalent I can think of is going to the closet under the stairs and getting out the Christmas boxes. What a joy it is to unpack, decorate, plan menus, and look forward to seeing friends.

So I don't pass judgement.

My daughter Alice, of HoCoHouseHon Blog, has come to the celebration of football as an adult. You can check out her take on the game here. Although there is little to no support for football on either side of her family, she has found her own way to enjoy it--at first through her husband's eyes--and found a way to just let go and have fun.

So I don't pass judgement.

At our house, we follow baseball. I follow the Orioles because my husband follows the Orioles. And he follows the Orioles because he is a good loyal sort of fellow who, after coming here from Belfast, N.I., realized he couldn't really follow cricket anymore. So, we go to the occasional home game, have a few team shirts, and watch many, many games at home on TV.

Yesterday was an uncomfortable day for local sports, in my opinion, because the Ravens and the Orioles were both playing, and well, you know the rest of that story. So George and Alice were at the Second Chance cheering on the Ravens and we were home watching the Orioles. And nobody passed judgement on anybody else, because that's how families are.

And I, for one, am grateful for that.

Can I get an Amen?

@hocoblogs@@@

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

F ³: Who Belongs at the Library?

  One of these things is not like the others One of these things doesn't belong Can you tell which thing is not like the other By the time we finish our song?* Did you guess which thing is not like the others? Did you guess which thing doesn't belong? If you guessed this thing is not like the others Then you're absolutely right.  Our library promotes equity. Our library promotes literacy for adults who have come here from many places. Our library promotes accessibility to materials and opportunities. Our library is hosting multiple Harry Potter themed events?  Tell me this isn’t so. J.K. Rowling, author of the Harry Potter book series, has and continues to use the profits from those books to advocate for laws that diminish the rights of trans people. She has and continues to use her fame to influence public opinion to view and treat trans people negatively. In short, Ms. Rowling is using the Harry Potter book series to make transgender people around the world less safe....