Skip to main content

Five Years

 

Five years ago, I stopped dipping my toe into the shallow waters of social media and jumped all the way in. After learning that The Second Chance Saloon would be opening in the space previously inhabited by Fire Rock and Last Chance, I decided I needed to do whatever I could to make sure their opening night was a success. So I created a Facebook group to publicize the event.

It was a great night. I don't know how much difference my small effort made, but it changed my perception of what social media could do. And it reinforced to me that, if we wanted a successful bar-restaurant-hangout in Oakland Mills, we had to support it. How many times in recent years have we heard that a local restaurant was closing and thought, "ohhhhh! I wish I had known! I wish I could have done something to help." Sound familiar?

During the depths of the recession, owner Wendy Binder shared concerns with the Village Board about growing and maintaining a consistent customer base. That's when I decided to create "A Little Lunch Music" (http://columbia.patch.com/groups/julia-mccreadys-blog/p/bp--village-greentown-squared-3) in an effort to bring young families in for Saturday lunch. Out of the same conversation came an informal board commitment to have dinner at The Second Chance before Tuesday board meetings--half price burger night, a bonus.

In the past five years, The Second Chance has been there for many events large and small for my family and friends: birthdays, date nights, Ladies' Nights and Swaps, Vendor/Crafter Shopping Events, parties for Howard County bloggers. Councilman Calvin Ball held a political event there. And let's not forget Beer Club.

It served as a second home for my nephew Chris, who lived with us while doing a college internship. Hungry for the companionship of people his own age, he went down and hung out at the bar with friendly bartender Kevin. Speaking of friendly bartenders, Second Chance has given Oakland Mills resident and Howard County teacher Brian Donoughe the opportunity to tend bar for the Help A Child Fund charity. In fact, they support a variety of charities. Have you donated a toy to Toys for Tots yet?

I've enjoyed music by local friends including Jim Alvey, the McCready/Denhard duo, and neighbor Christina Henderson. I've had dinner as "a woman alone", with my ipad for company, and been treated like visiting royalty. One such night I convinced Howard County blogger HowChow to come down and enjoy outdoor seating and some wings. I've even had brunch on the cactus patio with friends and their dogs!

The Second Chance is more than a commercial venture to me. They helped me host my daughter's bridal shower. They cheered me on when I had dinner before the Oakland Mills Candidate night, and they brought me my usual Dogfish and a pat on the back when I lost.

Recently Oakland Mills resident Ian Kennedy looked at a crowd of people assembled in the Other Barn and wondered aloud, "What would happen if we could channel all this energy for good?" Today, we celebrate five years of a place which is both completely committed to the village of Oakland Mills and continues to draw people in from surrounding areas. The Second Chance Saloon is a bright spot where a lot of good energy is being channelled to keep our Village Center alive and kicking.

Many thanks to Wendy, Declan, Lauren, Jacquie, Christy, Ebony, Kevin, Franny, and all whose names I do not know or have forgotten. Thanks to all who support this business and make it the cool place it is through their patronage. If you can't make it tonight, that's okay. They'll be open tomorrow.

Let's keep it that way.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...