Skip to main content

Unpopular

I noticed this hashtag making the rounds on Twitter last night:

#confessyourunpopularopinion

I decided that I am ready to confess mine.

Remember this? I wrote over a year ago about a place near my house, a little no-man's land at the stub end of Timesweep Lane where Blandair Park begins. Well, it's time to talk about it again.

Community Meeting To Discuss Timesweep Lane and Blandair Park Phase III

Upcoming Meeting: Tuesday, December 17, 7:00 p.m. Talbott Springs Elementary School

Councilman Calvin Ball in collaboration with Howard County Department of Recreation and Parks will be hosting a Community Meeting to discuss Timesweep Lane and Blandair Park Phase III. As many may recall, the phasing plan for Blandair Park states that HC Dept. of Rec. and Parks shall reach a resolution on public vehicular access via Timesweep Lane as part of Phase III. Specifically, it requires the residents of Cinnamon Tree and Emerson Hill communities to be engaged and consulted in this matter.(For those not familiar with Timesweep Lane it is located off of Thunder Hill Road, just prior to Whiteacre Road in Talbott Springs and provides access to both the Emerson Hill and Cinnamon Tree Talbott Springs communities.)Community involvement is extremely important in this process. The county looks forward to having an open dialog with residents and welcomes comments so that Blandair can continue to be a valued community amenity.If you have questions and/or would like to r.s.v.p. to this meeting please contact Councilman Ball at cbball@howardcountymd.gov or you may email Councilman Ball's Special Assistant Kim Pruim at kpruim@howardcountymd.gov or call 410-313-2001.

I am a resident of Cinnamon Tree, and I have watched this park, and this situation, develop over the years. And I support an entrance to the park at Timesweep. Here's why:

Maintenance--the end of Timesweep has always been a little sketchy and bedraggled. As an entrance to the park it would be cared for regularly by the County.

Safety--an entrance to the park means more eyes on that entrance. The Park security will need to take on the safety of that space in its overall responsibilities.

Connection--I want the people who use the park to see how easy it is to pop over to the Village Center for a meal at one of our restaurants, or to pick up groceries on the way home. An entrance there means more economic support for Village Center merchants.

Access--we have a beautiful County park right in our backyard. Shouldn't neighborhood residents have a safe, beautifully maintained point of access to enjoy this amenity?

I repeat, I support an entrance to the park at Timesweep. However, I may be the only one. There are some highly vocal and well-organized folks against it. I think they are wrong. I think if we oppose it we are shooting ourselves in the foot here.

Well, that's my unpopular opinion for today. What's yours?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...