Skip to main content

Board of Education Responses, Post 4

We finish off the day with this response from R. Michael Smith:

Question, "What do you think the job of a Board of Education member is?" Please address the following:

1. What power does the position convey?

2. What is the best use of that power?

3. To whom is the Board of Education member responsible?

As a member of the Board of Education, I will be able to serve as a liaison between the community and the superintendent and as the people’s voice when decisions are made regarding the school system. I can best use my position to, among other things, dispel the misperception among some Howard County residents that all is well in our schools, when in fact, a large gap exists between the quality of education provided here and in several nations, such as Finland and Singapore. That gap is much worse for children from poorer families.

Renee Foose has been telling anyone who will listen about the need for fundamental reform to rectify that situation. We must first acknowledge, however, the gravity of the problem if we are to implement a strategy that must include:

1. Establishing a rigorous curriculum for ALL students that: (1) develops their knowledge and skills, such as the ability to write, read, and think critically; and (2) equips them to earn a living and be responsible citizens.

2. Devoting sufficient resources to enable disadvantaged students to take advantage of that program.

3. Improving the quality of classroom instruction by: (1) hiring only the brightest college graduates to teach; (2) supporting teachers; and (3) paying them commensurate with their critical role in educating children.

Unless we undertake reform, we will entrench the growing disparity in income and wealth, which has serious implications for our society. By participating in this endeavor, I will satisfy my obligation to the electorate.

April 10, 2014 8:01 pm

250 words

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...