It's time to announce this week's winners in citizen responsiveness!
On Wednesday, after I wrote a blog post outlining my concerns about the Oakland Mills Village Board and their proposed Sports Complex, I sent some letters.
First, my letter:
I am taking the liberty of sending you a link to my blog post today because of a sincere concern for the future of my Village, Oakland Mills.
I do not support plans for the development of a Sports Complex in Oakland Mills for several reasons:
- It is predicated on a desire to displace poor and minority residents and diminish opportunities for affordable housing.
- It is a poor use of available funds.
- It detracts from major projects which are vital to the future of Oakland Mills.
This is what I do support:
- I support a pedestrian, bicycle and transit bridge project known as Bridge Columbia as outlined here. (http://bridgecolumbia.org/about/the-proposal/)
- I support the completion of the pathway system linking East to West as described here. (http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/howard/columbia/ph-ho-cf-pathway-0403-20140329-story.html)
- I support the ongoing progress of Blandair Park, a well-thought out project which is already bringing benefits to Oakland Mills. (http://www.howardcountymd.gov/blandairregionalpark.htm)
In a time when Howard County will be making hard decisions about how to best invest in the future within a limited budget, I ask you to focus on the projects which will bring true, meaningful connections to and increased quality of life within my village.
Thank you for your help.
Julia Jackson McCready
Former Oakland Mills Board Member
Oakland Mills Middle School PTA Member
Blogger: Village Green/Town Squared
And, the results are in! Responses, in order of receipt:
Howard County Councilman Calvin Ball
Howard County Councilwoman Mary Kay Sigaty
Maryland State Delegate Shane Pendergrass
Maryland State Delegate Vanessa Atterbeary
Howard Councilwoman Jen Terrasa
All of their responses, though varying in length, spoke directly to my letter--none were canned.
Who has not responded?
Howard County Executive Alan Kittleman
Howard County Councilman Greg Fox
Howard County Councilman Jon Weinstein
Maryland State Delegate Frank Turner
Maryland State Senator Guy Guzzone
The entire Columbia Association Board, plus Milton Matthews.
(Hmm. Maybe I have a bad link to the Columbia Assocation? I'll double check.)
What has been your experience in reaching out to your local elected officials? Is this pretty much par for the course? What can a constituent expect under these circumstances?
I await your response.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.