Skip to main content

Rebirth

Spring is here. Is it really here? Are we absolutely sure? It seems almost foolhardy to trust in it this year. Many of us have been looking anxiously for those perennial signs from Nature that the season is finally turning. We will wear lighter jackets, leave the front door open, work in the yard. We will relax into the warmth, instead of bracing ourselves against the cold.

The theme of rebirth is a big one this time of year, whether you are pondering it in church or at the garden center. We talk about new life arising from death. We clear away the remnants of winter from our garden beds and smile at the little green shoots which mean another season of growth and blossoming. We look forward. We plan, we plant, and we savor the anticipation.

Around town there are signs of rebirth in other ways. People are trying new things. I have been observing friends and acquaintances taking leaps of faith, starting new ventures, leaving the past behind. A sampling:

Courtney Watson is spearheading a new chartitable giving initiative in Howard County called Bridge to Give. She is using the knowledge and expertise gained in public service to make connections between people and community service.

Candace Dodson-Reed, Former Deputy Chief of Staff for Ken Ulman, begins a new position today as Vice-President of the Greater Baltimore Committee. Anyone who knows Candace knows that she will be taking top-notch skills and unstoppable determination to her new gig.

Marcia White is simultaneous planning the annual Jefferson-Jackson Dinner and running for the Oakland Mills Village Board. She's a member of the Democratic Central Committee who's not afraid to work in a non-partisan way to support her community through Village Board service.

Mary Catherine Cochran is beginning her tenure as Director of the Patapcso Heritage Greenway. Not only is this a new venture for her, it is the first time this position has existed--a lot of beginnings on that front. A love of nature and preservation make her the ideal choice to advocate for this local natural habitat.

Lastly, without name or fanfare, a dear friend of our family has left an abusive relationship and is starting over on her own. She's pushing on to finish her college degree. She's found a new job, and she's getting used to a whole new life. She's got a great family to back her up, and immense intelligence and spirit, but it's a struggle. She won't ever make the news for making this difficult life change, but I admire her and want to honor her.

I'm hearing a bird singing out front. It may reach 70 degrees today. I'm going to be enjoying a day-after-Easter brunch with my in-laws and getting some expert advice on how to create a rain garden on a slope--a new venture waiting to happen.

How's your rebirth going?

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...