Skip to main content

Bits and Bobs

A few things to clear up this morning.

So far I have had two responses to my letter to the CA Board the other day. One from CA President Milton Matthews and one from River Hill Rep Chao Wu. I appreciate their prompt replies.

As I only received three entries into my “caption this photograph” contest (really, folks?) I’m going to reward all three of them for taking the initiative to enter. Look for more news on that in an upcoming post.

Candidate for County Executive Calvin Ball had a meet and greet event yesterday at Club Pooche. If you think candidates are only interested in shaking hands or kissing babies, think again. Pols with pups may be the wave of the future. And possibly fewer germs were being spread during flu season—a win for everyone, I’d say.

County Council member Jon Weinstein is running ads on Facebook asking “How Would You Make Howard County Better?” Do you have any suggestions for him? Looking forward and asking for input from constituents is great. It’s also safe to say the Mr. Weinstein will face a good deal of scrutiny on his actual job performance on the council as he campaigns for re-election.

I urge you to go see A Time to Speak tonight at Abiding Savior Lutheran Church in Hickory Ridge if you are able. I was there last night and it is a moving and powerful performance.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...