Skip to main content

Day to Day




We talk about the struggle of folks who live paycheck to paycheck. That was my life as a young married person and then as a divorced mom for many years. But there’s another kind of struggle which comes from too much work, too many commitments, not enough time.

How do you make a life, how do you make a home, when there’s not enough time?

My husband and I both work full time. He works two jobs. We both have extra events on evenings and weekends. Our teenaged daughter has rehearsals, church events, social gatherings...

We just got our Christmas tree up yesterday. If Amazon did not exist we would not be having presents at all.

Perhaps part of our problem is that we are all innately introverts, so we require a lot of recovery time from all those outside commitments. Cleaning the house for the holidays, baking cookies, decorating, sending cards? Nope, we’re cocooning. We have to be nudged to get moving on those things.

Back in the day, and by this I do mean the “white middle class suburban” day, it was Mom’s job to make the home, to shape the life of the family. Her own existence was subsumed into that one goal. Imagine one person in your household whose job it is to make sure everyone else’s world goes smoothly.

If you have that at your house—great! Lots of us don’t.

We struggle. We’re not very good at calendars or planning ahead. We love our family and our friends and we will celebrate the holidays as best we can but it’s not going to be House Beautiful or Southern Living over here. We will treasure the joy we have and revel in the extra time with family and away from the obligations and cares that normally command our attention.

Although we are not well to do, we have enough. We are keenly aware of this and we are grateful. Our poverty comes in the lack of time. It seems there is never enough. We look at the photos of our friends’ homes and social events on Facebook and wonder how they do it.

Time. It’s so precious. Our modern lives are so overcommitted and fragmented. And yet the holidays come anyway and we find our own ways to celebrate. We choose the most important things and let others fall to the wayside. We create new traditions that fit the people we are now.

No matter what holidays you celebrate, I hope that this season brings you some of that precious time to experience what brings you the most joy.





























Celebration in the Woods Advent Calendar: 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...