Skip to main content

Elevators’ New Spot



The closure of Lupa at the Lakefront meant that the Elevate Maryland podcast, hosted by Tom Coale and Candace Dodson Reed, was looking for a new home. They’ve been hosting live podcasting events since last Fall.

It didn’t take long before various local dining establishments were putting out feelers to offer a new home to the podcast and its fans, known as “Elevators”. In fact, they must have had multiple offers.


@PodcastElevate :  Thank you to all the restaurant owners (and friends of restaurant owners) who have reached out.  We may turn this into the Elevate Maryland Road Show!

Well it looks like the suspense is over and Elevate Maryland will be hosting its next show from new digs at Clarksville Commons. You can come out this Friday evening at six pm as they interview Mavis Ellis and Sabina Taj of the Howard County Board of Education. It sounds like it will be a fascinating show. I hope they’ll be bringing on other BOE members in the near future.

This photo shamelessly stolen from the Elevate Maryland Facebook page.




Let them know if you plan to come at the event page here. I don’t think they have announced exactly which space is being used for the podcast, so keep an eye out for further instructions. Update: it will be in the Common Kitchen.

I recently wrote about the flags at the entrance to the Lark Brown Restaurant Park. It looks as though the silo at Clarksville Commons is shaping up to be a local icon.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...