Skip to main content

Spurred to Action



Don’t complain. Do something!


It’s as simple as that. Larry Pretlow, running for a second term on the Oakland Mills Village Board, is telling us that actions speak louder than words.

There’s just one thing,  His own words are extremely problematic. When I wrote this post without naming him, I guess I was just complaining. Now I want to do something.

I want to shine a light on Larry Pretlow.

While serving as a member of the OMCA, Mr. Pretlow has also declared himself a candidate for County Council. The way he uses his position as an OMCA Board Member Clearly demonstrates a conflict of interest  And his public statements on this have been startling:




And, more recently:

Opel Jones is the biggest jerk on the face of the earth. 
Man, I can't wait to KICK HIS ASS! This is why we don't need OPEL JONES 
MATHEMATICS IN DISTRICT 2 OR ON THE COUNTY COUNCIL!

How can he hope to work collaboratively and represent the Village of Oakland Mills while he is using his position purely as a springboard to self-promotion? (Not to mention making threats of physical violence to public officials.)

In addition, Mr. Pretlow’s views on women are deeply troubling. You may recall that he questioned the fitness of his primary opponent, Jen Terrasa, based on his distaste for her physical appearance. 

It gets worse. In arguments on Twitter he addresses women who disagree with him as follows:

Don’t you have a vagina to be more responsible with?
I guess your reckless uterus is tweeting for you.
...you reckless hens
You sound like a damn fool you foolish black woman.

Overall, Mr. Pretlow’s online interactions show that he is quick to anger and his responses often suggest physical violence. (See Opel Jones, above.) That’s why I wasn’t surprised when he
shared a history of physical violence towards women.


Frankly, Mr, Pretlow is so busy running for County Council, getting help for intimate partner violence (I hope), and insulting anyone who disagrees with him - - I don’t see he has time to serve on the Oakland Mills Village Board. 

Now that you’ve read this, don’t complain. Do something. DO NOT vote to return Mr. Pretlow to the Board. His continued presence is a toxic force to contend with, not a help and support to his neighbors.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...