Skip to main content

Coming Soon?


The best restaurant in Columbia, Maryland is one that doesn’t exist: The Magical Soup Company. My friends know I have been pining for such a restaurant for quite some time. Here’s the concept: amazingly good soup, excellent bread. Must have a drive-through or take out option. Soup comes in cups, bowls, or enough to feed your whole family. (Bucket o’ soup?)

Cold weather, rainy weather, gray days, or days when you just need comforting: all are good days for soup. And not soup out of a tin, but delicious, life-changing soup. What Grilled Cheese & Co. has done for the humble grilled cheese sandwich, someone should do for soup. It’s a miracle waiting to happen.

I do see some drawbacks. What about summer, for instance? Who would want hot soup then? Cold soups exist but may have limited appeal. Also, restaurants with too limited a menu range can doom themselves from the start. I’m thinking of a place I read about that just served breakfast cereal. And, of course, not everyone likes soup.

“Let’s go to The Magical Soup Company!”
“I don’t like soup.”

Hmm. Well, if there ever is a Magical Soup Company, HoCoNomNom will let you know what’s up with that. Unless I beat him to it.

I’m eager to hear your pitches for restaurant concepts you’d love to have in Columbia/HoCo. What have you always yearned for? Share your ideas here.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...