Skip to main content

Ignorance and Malice


 

The recent decision by Governor Larry Hogan to discontinue the federal subsidies for unemployment related to COVID is yet another example that A) he truly does not understand people who are not like him, and B) he considers his responsibility is to govern for “people like us.” I remember once defining the word “ignorance” for my young daughter as follows:

Ignorance is when you don’t know and you don’t care.

That would be Governor Hogan. 

Of course there exists the possibility that he does know but doesn’t care, which would be malice. Yes, I had a child-sized definition for that, too:

Malice is when you mean to be mean.

Today’s post is inspired by this piece by Crystal Peters at Maryland Matters. (It’s a guest post.)

Opinion: Governor’s Decision on Unemployment Benefits Hurts Women, Children, and People of Color

Take the time to read it if you can. It raises some important issues about about who exactly is relying on those benefits and what will happen when they are discontinued earlier than expected.

Embedded in this discussion is another important point:

There are also only 213,960 available slots for child care in Maryland, but 844,563 children who need it. That helps keep the cost of child care high and the availability for child care low.

So the Governor wants to force people back to work because he thinks they’re just slackers relying on the government dole. What on earth will happen to their children? Isnt the Republican Party all about “family values”? 

And why hasn’t the Governor done anything meaningful during his terms to address the critical shortage of quality childcare?

As Crystal Peters says, someone should ask him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

F ³: Who Belongs at the Library?

  One of these things is not like the others One of these things doesn't belong Can you tell which thing is not like the other By the time we finish our song?* Did you guess which thing is not like the others? Did you guess which thing doesn't belong? If you guessed this thing is not like the others Then you're absolutely right.  Our library promotes equity. Our library promotes literacy for adults who have come here from many places. Our library promotes accessibility to materials and opportunities. Our library is hosting multiple Harry Potter themed events?  Tell me this isn’t so. J.K. Rowling, author of the Harry Potter book series, has and continues to use the profits from those books to advocate for laws that diminish the rights of trans people. She has and continues to use her fame to influence public opinion to view and treat trans people negatively. In short, Ms. Rowling is using the Harry Potter book series to make transgender people around the world less safe....