Skip to main content

Mike and Laura


 


Dear Mike and Laura,

You are surely grown by now and very likely not even a couple anymore, but: there you are. Immortalized by an act of youthful romance. I wonder what the day was like when you carved your declaration into this tree in Symphony Woods. Or perhaps it was at night, under cover of darkness. Maybe it was marked by a moonlit kiss.

I’ve lived in Columbia 22 years now and I’ve never laid eyes on this tree before. That’s because I’ve never been in this part of the woods before. I’ve had no reason to. 

Last night - - an indescribably perfect June evening - - this part of the woods was alive. Eric Byrd was at the keyboard, playing Gershwin and Ellington and singing the kind of jazz standards that just plain make me happy. Drinks were available, food too. People were spread out under the trees in their folding lawn chairs. Children, comfy on blankets, played at the feet of their parents. Small groups, maybe families or groups of friends, were seated at the newly-decorated picnic tables.

Merriweather Park at Symphony Woods is more than the Chrysalis. If you’ve seen the new concept plan you have a sense of that, but I think many folks don’t truly understand that yet. The park is for everyone, is meant to be enjoyed by everyone. Not just on event days but all the time.

You get a different perspective being in this part of the park. I got to see the people who have made this stretch of land a part of their daily walks, some accompanied by their dogs. The buildings of the New American City were to my left, the familiar outlines of Merriweather Post Pavillion were on my right. But in the middle was this cool, lush haven filled with music and happy people.

Dear Mike and Laura - - you weren’t alone last night. You were surrounded by friends. If Symphony Woods was once the place you thought of as “your place” you’ll be happy to know that a new generation of Columbians is discovering* it. 

Some will be walkers or runners. Some will be attending concerts and other arts performances. Some will be dancing on the grass, like the two little ones in front of me last night. All will be making connections with the park.

The next free Happy Hour in the Park is Thursday, July 1st. Click on this link to see all the events coming up this summer. 

After a long, long time of isolation I hope I’ll see you in the park.









*To be honest, I hope that none of them carve their names on trees. I don’t think it’s very good for them. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

F ³: Who Belongs at the Library?

  One of these things is not like the others One of these things doesn't belong Can you tell which thing is not like the other By the time we finish our song?* Did you guess which thing is not like the others? Did you guess which thing doesn't belong? If you guessed this thing is not like the others Then you're absolutely right.  Our library promotes equity. Our library promotes literacy for adults who have come here from many places. Our library promotes accessibility to materials and opportunities. Our library is hosting multiple Harry Potter themed events?  Tell me this isn’t so. J.K. Rowling, author of the Harry Potter book series, has and continues to use the profits from those books to advocate for laws that diminish the rights of trans people. She has and continues to use her fame to influence public opinion to view and treat trans people negatively. In short, Ms. Rowling is using the Harry Potter book series to make transgender people around the world less safe....