Skip to main content

Remembering Our Roots



I’ve been noting with some interest the kinds of clip art images that various institutions use for Labor Day. So far my most unfavorite is one depicting faceless white workers and lots of American flags. The image I like the best was shared by a teacher friend of mine

“Labor Movement” poster by Ricardo Levins Morales


On the page of Morales’ art website where you can order this poster, this sentence caught my eye:

The social gains of humanity did not invent themselves and will not defend themselves. Only organized people can do that. - - Ricardo Levins Morales

In Columbia/HoCo some folks are all about organizing if it means protesting school redistricting or new housing while taking a dim view of labor organizing and unions. For instance, they claim that the very fact that teachers belong to a union shows that they do not truly care about the kids, but only the money.

But organizing is organizing. You join together because you care passionately about something. It is your desire to create change by working together with others. Why are matching t-shirts and passionate petition drives okay for the well-to-do but not for workers?

I have had jobs where I was treated fairly and jobs where I was not. I’ve observed plenty of labor violations in environments where no one was in a position to object. The less power you have to object, the more likely management is to plan their business model around ignoring basic worker rights. Why? Because they can. And it becomes a deeply entrenched mindset that they wouldn’t be able to operate any other way. Those who suggest otherwise are accused of being anti-business, attacking small business, and so on.

The risks to frontline workers during the early part of the pandemic years prompted me to write two pieces about who suffers most.

The Truth About Choice, Village Green/Town², May 19, 2020

Still Need More Voice for Choice, Village Green/Town², May 19, 2021

If you wonder why “nobody” seems to want to work those jobs anymore it might be helpful to understand that those people got sick more, died more, and are experiencing more long term disability from COVID than affluent folks who had more choices. 

It is no surprise to me that we are seeing a resurgence of labor organizing across the country and here in HoCo. When you demand that others make sacrifices for the greater good and it becomes clear that your real intent is to sacrifice others to protect yourself…

It’s a breathtaking betrayal.

The social gains of humanity did not invent themselves and will not defend themselves. Only organized people can do that. 

Happy Labor Day. A great day to appreciate what the workers in Morales’poster have done for you, and to ponder what you can do to support and respect workers today.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...