Skip to main content

Two Words

 



Clip from A Thousand Clowns, United Artists, 1965


Let’s watch Jason Robards do the big build up with Barbara Harris in this scene from A Thousand Clowns. (It runs one minute and twenty-seven seconds. You have time.) What is he building up to? This:


Sandy I uh

I'm sorry

I'm very sorry

Well dammit lady that was a beautiful apology

I mean you gotta love a guy who can apologize so nice

I rehearsed it for over an hour

Aw Sandy

That's the most you should expect from life

A really good apology

for all the things you won't get - - A Thousand Clowns, film, 1965


This morning I’m still trying to process last night’s very last-minute announcement from HCPSS Superintendent Michael Martirano. School times are changing - - in the third week of the school year - -  in an attempt to address problems with school bus service. I will have more time to process than most folks as I am not directly impacted. Still,  I have felt increasingly frustrated that there is nothing I can do to help make this situation better.

Thanks to the example of Murray Burns (played by Jason Robards) in A Thousand Clowns, I just may have an answer:

I’m sorry

I’m sorry for the kids who waited for buses that never came. I’m sorry for parents who worried about what to do and how to get their kids to and from school.

I’m sorry for school office staff who have been inundated with phone calls from frightened and angry parents. 

I’m sorry for teachers and school staff who had to change their schedules at the beginning of the year and now, three weeks into the year, have to do it again. I’m sorry that finding transportation and childcare for their own children has been an added burden for them. 

I’m sorry for the students and families that used to have transportation and now have to walk.

I’m sorry for everyone who worked for years to get later start times and watched the execution sell them short.

I’m sorry for special needs students for whom transportation so far this year has been, in some cases, far less than adequate. I’m sorry for their families who feel they have nowhere to turn.

I’m sorry for the families in our community who have been less likely to receive school communication all along, whether because of lack of internet or differences in primary language. Everything that is happening is at least several degrees more challenging for them.

I’m sorry.

That's the most you should expect from life: a really good apology for all the things you won't get.

Is it?



Village Green/Town² Comments



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...