Let’s take a moment to talk about the Opportunity Gap. Have you ever heard that term before? Here’s an explanation from the Close the Gap Foundation website:
The opportunity gap is one of the widest-reaching issues in our society today. It is the way uncontrollable factors can contribute to lower rates of success in educational achievement, career prospects, and other life aspirations.
Though it’s often called the “achievement gap”…we intentionally use the term “opportunity gap” instead. This is because we feel the word “achievement” implies that the reason this disparity exists is that some individuals simply don’t work as hard as others to achieve their goals. We’d like to bring awareness to the ways in which that assumption is a myth.
The reality is that we are not all born with the same opportunities and sadly, many don’t get the chance to even believe they can achieve something, let alone the resources necessary to reach for it. This has nothing to do with a person’s potential or abilities and everything to do with the opportunities available to them.
- leaky ceilings
- lack of fresh air
- lack of natural light
- largest gap between state calculated capacity and county calculated capacity among the 13 high schools
- A hundred students over capacity by county calculations, and 250 students over capacity by state calculations
- no student gathering spaces
- substandard auditorium
- noncompliance with current standards including COMAR
- Major HVAC renovation project deferred since 2009.