Skip to main content

Amazing Results!

 

(Photo from Scientific American)

 

NPR reported recently about the newest trend in cognitive improvement: Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation. tDCS, as it is known, has been shown in a scientific study with Air Force pilots to improve performance on training tests by 25 per cent. Johns Hopkins Medicine describes it as "cheap, non-invasive, painless and safe." It also doesn't take much time per session.

Now this is data that should be getting everyone excited. Here is scientific proof that we can overcome the achievement gap in our schools without cutting back on music or art. We don't need rigid scheduling formats like Departmentalization. We don't need thirty minutes of world language per day from age four onward. Children will be able to retain more with less class time.

We need tDCS.

Howard County has always been at the forefront of educational trends. I can't think of a better addition to Vision 2018 than the cutting edge science of tDCS.

What's that?

You don't feel like there's enough data available yet? You feel like this would be tantamount to experimenting on your children?

But we have studies. We have data. We have an achievement gap. Are you saying you want to stand in the way of helping our children?

 

*****

 

Okay, okay. I'm not advocating for weird science. I'm not serious about the immediate implementation of tCDS as an educational tool in the Howard County Schools.

I do want the community to get serious about understanding that implementing the Model Schools initiative without adequate time, adequate data, without public hearings on all aspects by the Board of Education, without input from parents and teachers in those meetings, and without a vote by the Board--that's weird science. Maybe even junk science.

It also subverts the democratic process.

As a parent said to me recently, "Am I the only one who feels that my children are being experimented on like lab rats without my permission?"

Let's get this decision right. Let's tell our Superintendent and Board of Education that the Model Schools initiative is exciting, full of promise, and worthy of study and debate. It's just not ready for prime time.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...