Skip to main content

HoCo Holler! HowChow

I met HowChow quite serendiptously.

I was down at the Second Chance one evening eating dinner and getting some work done on the old iPad, when I spied his tweet looking for somewhere local to eat outside on a lovely Spring evening. Naturally, with my deep loyalty to my local pub and my hometown village of Oakland Mills, I suggested that he "come on down."

He did.

As I was leaving I look a risk and approached what I thought might be his table. (He is rather anonymous, you know.) HowChow and his wife graciously allowed me to join them for a bit of conversation. I was struck not only by how friendly and easy-going he was, but also how respectful he was of his wife. He was a true gentleman, and I mean that according to the spirit of that term: courteous and honorable.

Of course HowChow has become every bit the local celebrity in Howard County. People go places based on his recommendations. Restaurants brag if he writes them up. And this is meaningful in a town that doesn't have its own home-based newspaper or television station. He's the real deal.

But, to me, what makes HowChow remarkable is the community he has created on his blog. All the information he shares with us is wonderful. But he sees it as only the beginning. He wants readers to explore, enjoy, and share. He wants to learn from us.

Take a look at Thursday's post. Now, read the comments. Not to discount his research or writing in any way, but it's in the comments section that we really see how successful his blog has become. They are helpful, supportive, knowledgeable, positive. How many comments sections do you see of this calibre? HowChow has truly elevated the discussion around local food.

So, I am sending up a VG/TS HoCo Holler! today for HowChow. Not only does he focus the spotlight on local food, he has created a space where conversation and community are welcome.

And he's been doing it beautifully for six years.

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...