Skip to main content

The Power of Women


Last night I attended my first "Wine, Women, and Watson" event. I could tell you about the wine, of course. I could describe the food, the setting, and what people were wearing. But this is not the Society column.

Courtney Watson stood in front of a group of women last night as a candidate for Howard County Executive. She carries with her the experience of serving on the County Council and the Board of Education. She has earned an advanced degree, worked to establish her career, and committed herself to loving and supporting her family.

Every woman attending the event knows and owns a piece of that in their own lives. We talk the talk and walk the walk every day.

The speech last night touched on building on past successes, responding to new challenges, the willingness to take on new ventures to help our community. Courtney used this moment not only to make the case for her own candidacy, but to share the spotlight with other local women who are taking the risk to get involved politically. The point of "Wine, Women and Watson" is not just Courtney Watson.

The greater goal is to empower women to see the many ways they can participate in the political process. Women supporting women.

Right now our nation is experiencing a backlash against women's rights on a variety of fronts. The most basic way to assure equal rights is through our vote. Vote for the candidates who truly represent equality.

Be the candidate who truly represents equality.

I truly believe that our country-- well, even the world--will be better for everyone if a greater proportion of women share power and decisions through political service. Our world is less equal, less human, without it. What I took away from last night was the reminder that it is not just about electing one candidate for County Executive. It's about acknowledging our own individual responsibility for doing something tangible to improve our communities.

Early voting starts today. You know what to do, right?

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...