Skip to main content

Saturday...Saturday...Saturday...

You knew it was coming.

This is the annual ASLC Flea Market post.

It is the rummage of rummages, jumble sale of jumble sales, with everything from bicycles to DVDs to household linens to Christmas decorations to toys...and more. Last year my daughter bought a snake in a basket.

Really.

 

In addition to remarkable bargains you will find cheerful hearts, helpful advisors, and energetic assistance from church members young and old. All have a sincere desire to give you a price you want to hear along with a sense of humor. Even if you buy nothing (extremely unlikely) you will come away feeling better than when you arrived.

Abiding Savior is the Lake Woebegon of Columbia parishes, almost too small to be found on a map. And yet every year this flea market raises a hefty sum for charity. To paraphrase Shakespeare, "though we be but small, we are fierce."

This year all proceeds will go to Winter Growth who assist patients and families in Alzheimer's care.

Did I mention that there is a lovely playground right outside the church hall where your little ones can play while you shop? (Weather permitting, of course.)

You are sure to save a bundle on books, housewares, toys and a million other things, so use a little $ to buy a snack. This year we will have a bake table with home-baked snacks as well as coffee, tea, and other drinks. Proceeds from this table will benefit ASLC's Winter Growth fund and the Girl Scouts Silver Award Project of redoing the Nature Trail at Girl Scout Camp Ilchester in Ellicott City, which is also handicapped accessible.

To review:

This Saturday, June 7th
From 8 am to 12 noon.
The amazing Annual Flea Market!
Abiding Savior Lutheran Church
10689 Owen Brown Road, Columbia, Maryland 21044

*****

I had hoped to follow up on yesterday's Board endorsement post today, but I am awaiting confirmation of some factual information that I don't want to get wrong. Look for the wrap-up tomorrow.

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...